Monday, June 11, 2007

FACTS ABOUT RAPID CITY MAYOR'S RACE

I have been conducting some research into the candidates for Mayor of Rapid City. I also had the opportunity to take part in a conversation with one of the candidates over the week end. I've uncovered some very interesting facts of which people may not be aware.

I am not endorsing any candidate. My purpose here is to put forth the facts as I have been given by several individuals who are in position to know what is going on in Rapid City politics.

I was told by several individuals that the real power behind Sam Kooiker is the core of the right wing of the Republican Party. They indicated that if we want Bill Napoli, Eli Schweisow, Elizabeth Krause and Rick Kreibel running City Hall then we should vote for Sam Kooiker. This group's attitude toward the GLBT community has not been good to say the least.

Over the week end I was able to take part in a conversation with Allan Hanks. I informed him that many in the GLBT community had supported Mayor Jim Shaw in the election because Mayor Shaw had been supportive of the GLBT community and had been very support of Tom Murphy in his transition to Marla Murphy while sitting on the City Council.

I asked him what kind of a relationship the GLBT community could expect to have with a Hanks Administration. He responded that if elected everyone would receive equal treatment and respect from his office. He went on to say that there would be no discrimination in his administration.

I was also informed that in the run off for City Council in Ward four Lori Hadley is also in the right wing camp while Kroeger is seen as a moderate.

I would encourage everyone to do their own research, make their own decisions and then get out and vote. In a close election with a low turnout the GLBT community can have a big impact. Let's make it so!!

2 comments:

The Poetry of Barry G. Wick said...

Certain politicos are making phone calls urging the gay vote. If you can herd the cats to the polls, then maybe gays can have an impact. This mountain queen doesn't think it's going to happen. I've grown much more militant in my old age. But nobody listens. Nobody. And the gays left in South Dakota don't care anymore what the politicians do. They can put gays on bonfires for all the gay community cares. By denying the recognition of same-sex marriage and by doing so declaring gays second-class citizens, South Dakota has put it's democratic social experiment into the toilet. They can confiscate
scanners in cars without due process, deny gays the benefits of government....what is voting for mayor going to do for us one way or the other?

OLD MAN said...

Barry:
I agree with your comment about herding cats. And I feel the same frustration with the LGBT community. The apathy, lethargy, and juvenile, destructive temper tantrums by individuals who'll try to destroy everything if they don't get their own way. But then what are we going to do? I don't want to give up. We have to start somewhere and build upon what you and so many others did in the past. But by the same token we can't be tied to the mistakes of the past. I for one will continue to try and let the chips fall where they may. I've been talking and meeting with politicos and trying to get some things organized. It may not be much but at least we're moving forward.
The race for Mayor is important because we can at least let them know we are still here. I still get invited to meetings and to visit with the candidates. Some of them even listen. Some even know that we could make a difference.