Tuesday, January 29, 2008

ANOTHER MISSION UPDATE

I have visited with other residents at the Cornerstone Rescue Mission and they have corroborated what I have heard from others. The problems of discrimination, harassment and intimidation continue and are getting worse according to the people with whom I have been visiting.

Because of the consistent ranting and condemnation of Gay people by the staff member, other residents are joining in and harassing, threatening and intimidating anyone thought to be gay or not going along with the religious fundamentalism of certain staff members.

I have heard from others in the community that the Executive Director claims it is not happening or he would stop it. I think he needs to paying more attention to the day to day happenings at the Mission. All my sources who have first hand knowledge confirm that it is happening openly and is getting worse. How far will it get before some one steps in to stop the bullying? Does someone have to get hurt?

When people do not feel safe going to a place of last resort, what is left? What risks will gay people have to take to recieve shelter? It is scary to think about.

No comments: