Tuesday, July 10, 2007

MY LETTER TO THE RSJ ON JULY 8TH

Bob Ellis’s July 3rd column claims that so-called religious extremists and wing nuts are promoting traditional American values is difficult to swallow. Intolerance, anti-Semitism, homophobia, hate and religious exploitation were not the values I grew up with or that made this country great.

I learned values like tolerance, respect for other people, religious freedom, Love Thy Neighbor, government off my back and out of my bedroom and the right to make my own choices and mistakes and to live my life according to my beliefs and convictions.

Mr. Ellis and religious extremists advocating so-called “traditional values” exploit fear, ignorance, intolerance, hatred and bigotry to further their own financial and political ambitions and agenda.

Traditional values don’t condemn people for loving each other; declare only certain families have value; demand only certain religions be tolerated; or that everything and everyone be subservient to whatever they wish to believe no matter how absurd or out of touch with fact and reality.

The wing nuts can cry foul. The truth is that when given the informed choice between intolerant, belligerent “right wing-nuts” or voices of tolerance, respect and moderation, people of this community have chosen the real American values of respect and tolerance

No comments: