Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Born Again

I just recieved this from a friend and need to post it. It explains a lot.

From "Lanterns on the Levy," by William Alexander Percy, 1941 (Recollections of a Mississippi Delta Planter's Son):

"I asked a clergyman recently why it was that so many prominent church-goers were crooks in business and hypocrites in private life. He replied: "They have been born again." This clarified nothing for me and I told him as much. He explained sadly: "When they are born again, they are certain of salvation, and when you are certain of salvation you may do what you like." But I urged, horrified: "People don't really believe that!" "Hundreds of thousands of them," he rejoined, obviously as grieved as I. "The ethics of Jesus do not interest them when their rebirth guarantees them salvation."

No comments: