Friday, May 11, 2007

NEED HEALTH CARE REFORM

Today I'm angry and just about had it with the entire health care system. Something needs to be done. I am retired from government service and have a health care plan through the Federal Government. Between my share and the government's share we pay almost $1000 a month. I have $1000 deductible.

Last month I went in to the local Emergicare clinic for a routine emergency. I was told that because they and my insurance company couldn't agree on how much should be charged, I would have to pay up front and be reimbursed when the insurance check came in. With the outrageous amount I'm paying for Health Insurance I didn't think this appropriate, but, I needed care so I agreed and paid the bill upfront.

One month later I get notice from the insurance company that they have reimbursed the clinic a portion of the cost. They pay a little over half. So I stopped by the Emergicare clinic to get reimbursed. I was told that I would have to go to the Medical Center across town to get the money. They can all take your money but try to get them to pay their bills.

I called the Medical Center Patient Billing Department and asked for the refund. At first I was told that no check had arrived from the insurance company. When I insisted that I had been notified that they had received it, suddenly they found that "Oh yes we received it."

I asked them to please send the check to my address and was told that it would take four to six weeks. You have got to be kidding!! They want their money upfront or you can't get treatment. But, they will hang on to my money as long as they possibly can. Why do I feel violated?

Now, I know the amount they owe me doesn't amount to much. But, if they do this to everyone, the interest they earn on that money would amount to alot of money. It's a great deal for them but a real scam and ripoff to their patients.

I live in a modest home on retirement income and work to supplement it. I'm happy with what I have. But I'll be damned if I should be forced to let the scam artists posing as health care providers maximize their profits at my expense so they can live in Carriage Hills, drive fancy cars and lord it over the rest of us.. If the situation were reversed, they would have the sheriff at my door. Actually the situation wouldn't be reversed. They would let me die first.

Socialized medicine is sounding better all the time. The scam artists and profit maximizers are shooting themselves in the foot with their greed. Those of us who are paying their wages are just about fed up.

1 comment:

Patti said...

I hear you brother. I have a full-time job with health benefits, yet health care is still too damned expensive. It doesn't take long to windup with huge medical bills. It's a wonder anyone has good health care insurance at all.