Monday, November 19, 2007

A Veteran's Day First

I served four years in the U.S. Navy having been discharged in February of 1974. Yes, it was during the Vietnam War. I never went to Vietnam although the military tried at one point, but that's another story for another time. I served at the Naval Hospital in Philadelphia as a Psychiatric Technician working on the Psych Wards.

We were not the most popular members of the Navy. There was very little understanding of Psychiatry in the regular Navy outside of our rate. And, the military was at war with itself - lifers vs the draftees. We were seen as the ones who were getting people out of their contracts with the military.

The anti-war feelings in the country at that time are well known. So I needn't go into detail about it. Let us suffice to say that I personally struggled with the decision to stay in the military even though I disagreed with the war, or as many of my Friends had done, go to Canada. At one time my bags were packed.

I made the decision to stay and finish my tour before getting out. It was a personal decision based on my beliefs and sense of duty. I do not pretend to say that it would have been the right decision for everyone. In fact, I still haven't convinced myself that it was what I should have done. I've just learned to accept that it is what I did based on my feelings at the time.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT I DID SERVE AND FINISH MY ENLISTMENT!!

This came to the front of my consciousness this past Veteran's Day as we were returning from a meeting in Sioux Falls for Equality South Dakota. I was asked if I was a Veteran. When I replied that I was, the person thanked me for my service. Interestingly enough that marked the very first time in 35 years anyone had personally thanked me for serving in the military.

As a Gay man serving in the military in my position on the Psychiatric Wards and seeing many Gay brothers getting kicked out simply for being who they were, it tore my up and put me at odds with myself. I had still not fully dealt with my sexual orientation. If I had, I probably would have gotten out. But I didn't.

It is still happening with the ridiculous "Don't ask. Don't tell." GLBT people who have served with honor and distinction are being kicked out for simply trying to be as God created them. It is time to get rid of "Don't Ask. Don't Tell" and to allow LGBT people to served openly and honorably in a country that accepts and respects them and the service they provide.

And it is high time that this country said thank you to the thousands of LGBT Veterans who, despite being harassed and humiliated, risked and gave their lives to serve a country that too many times turned its back on the suffering and pain that these discriminatory policies have caused to LGBT people and their families.

No comments: