Thursday, February 21, 2008

Harrowing incident a troubling reminder of homophobia

NEW ORLEANS -- When the eight to 10 guys surrounded me, I knew I was going to get hurt.
When the first one pushed me in the back, I remember thinking I was going to die.
After a second shove, I had no thoughts at all -- only fear.
This is how I spent a portion of my Saturday night during NBA All-Star Weekend -- being gay bashed because the size large T-shirt I was wearing wasn't large enough for someone else's comfort.
As I walked by the group of men -- on my way to the Playboy party, no less -- one of them called me a faggot. Then another joined in. They followed me for a while, continuing to hurl names at me. I tried to ignore it but eventually the "Detroit" came out of me and I turned around and said some things I probably shouldn't have. Next thing I know I'm surrounded and wondering if I'm going to see the dawn and if not for a pair of New Orleans policemen who saw trouble brewing and yelled at the group to break it up, I might not have.

read more at ESPN

No comments: