Tuesday, April 29, 2008

PFLAG National Blog: You Bet I Am.

Can a father be proud of a gay son? You bet!

I was quite sad after reading the article written by a man who thought that it would be difficult to be proud of his son if he happened to be gay. I will admit that when my son came out to his mother and me that we were completely unprepared and felt ourselves very ignorant about the whole subject of sexuality.

Did it take a while to learn more about homosexuality? Yes.

Did it take a while for us to review all the hopes, plans, and expectations that we had for our son and his future life and discover that these hopes, plans, and expectations would be different but OK if he were gay? Yes.

Did I realize at the time that my son came out, how ignorant I was about the whole spectrum of sexuality and how his being gay would be a portal for understanding a wonderful side of life of which I had been previously completely unaware? No.

Did I ever think that my son would marry a man, who I now love as another son, instead of one of the wonderful young women he used to associate with whom I had hoped would be a daughter-in-law someday? No.

Did I have a lot of learning and growing to do when my son came out to us as gay? Yes.
Read more:

No comments: