Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Bilerico Project: Top Chef's Zoi Antonitsas Dishes It Up for TBP

Like most of my classmates at culinary school, I'm addicted to Top Chef. It's fun to see what chefs who are already in the industry are doing. In fact, Top Chef is the predominant item on my Tivo list (along with Project Runway and Family Guy). This season, I have been excited to see so many talented women on the show. Three of them happen to be out lesbians.

Zoi Antonitsas is one of those talented chefs. I was lucky enough to catch Zoi for a few minutes this week and ask her some questions and find out why she thinks a woman's place is in the kitchen.

SERENA: When did you know that you wanted to be a chef?

ZOI: I got my first kitchen job when I was twenty, and at the time it was more of a job than a career move. But after a few months of working in the kitchen, I found it exciting and fun, and I loved it.

S: Why did you decide to try out for Top Chef?

Z: Well, the show is exciting. It appeals to the competitive nature in me. I also found the exposure appealing, because you can't really achieve that on your own.

S: You're not a classically trained chef. So how did it feel to win the knife skills quick fire challenge?

Z: That was the most fulfilling thing about being on the show, because I really respect and admire Daniel Boulud, more than any other guest judge who's been on the show. It was a real honor to cook for him. I was really nervous when I walked into the kitchen and saw him there, especially when I found out it was a knife skills test. I thought, "Oh, God." But I'm really happy and proud that I won. I think education is important. But your skill comes from within.
Read more:

No comments: